The World Health Organisation (WHO) has raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high”.
The strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the WHO on Sunday.
“We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at global level,” WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.
So far, 82 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, with seven confirmed deaths, 177 suspected deaths and almost 750 suspected cases. The situation in Uganda is stable, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from the DRC, one of them fatal, Tedros said.
“The potential of this virus spreading rapidly is high, very high, and that changed the whole dynamic,” said Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO Director of Health Emergency Alert & Response Operations.
Measures taken in Uganda, including intense contact tracing and cancellation of a mass gathering, appear to have been effective in stemming the spread of the virus, Tedros said.
A United States (US) national who was working in the DRC has been confirmed to have the virus and been transferred to Germany for care.
“We are also aware of reports today about another US national with a high-risk contact who has been transferred to the Czech Republic,” Tedros added.
–Reuters–
